Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Distracted driving

Just this week I narrowly missed an accident when I failed to yield at the stop sign.

I was distracted.  By the Kangaroo paws. They were in such riotous bloom -- deep red and velvety with a touch of yellow, glowing in the late afternoon sun. I couldn't take my eyes off of them.

A couple days later I had to hit the brakes too hard to avoid hitting the car in front of me.

Again, I was distracted. This young couple were walking up the sidewalk. They were holding hands and laughing. They just looked so happy I couldn't take my eyes off of them.

Then it was the moon. So fat and luminous floating just above the rooftops. I had to force myself to look away to keep my car on the road.

Who needs cell phones for distraction when we're surrounded by so much love and beauty?


No comments:

Post a Comment